Constantly Evolving Into The Man God Wants Me To Be

Monday, November 5, 2007

Breakthrough

Ever since I left Tatnall, I always had the same reoccurring dream. For the past 9 years, every once in a while, I would dream about playing football. In this dream, I would be extremely slow (almost running in slow motion), while everybody else is operating at full speed. The dream varies in how I enter the game: sometimes I'm still in high school and sometimes I'm back for homecoming and the coach tells me to suit up, but either way, I step on the field and I feel like somebody is holding me back. For those of you who know me well, I won't go into my high school football experience (that would take a whole new blog) but I will tell you that my varsity playing days were a big disappointment. I would always stink up the place in my dreams and for the past 9 years, it was more of the same.

However, last night must have marked a shift in my psyche. Once again, I found myself playing football and I was operating in slow motion. But the difference was that the other players kept missing me. Although I was moving in slow motion, I was side stepping the competition and even outrunning a few of them. By the end of the dream, I scored three touchdowns and was carried off the field by J. Bergey. This dream marks a very significant change in my life. It serves as the last vestige of my old self. As I get ready to become a father and obtain employment after law school, I have to shed off the baggage that continues to hold me back. As the brothers in The Darjeeling Limited, had to literally leave their father's baggage behind, I had to figuratively shake off the feelings of disappointment that were holding me back from scoring (achieving) all these years.

I think God has big plans for the Brooks family and this was one giant step towards accomplishing the goals that God has set for us.

No comments: