Constantly Evolving Into The Man God Wants Me To Be

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Lessons from Red Sox Nation

Although I said that I wouldn't mix Red Sox stuff with this blog, I had to write about the mother that I met during the Sox game tonight. As we were sitting there between innings, I started talking about my son and how I wanted to bring him to the game tonight. She asked how old he was and I told her that he was a little over 2 months. Then she told me to enjoy this time because they grow so quickly and to always remember that when children are small; they only have small problems. It was very reassuring to hear her words because as new parents, everything seems larger than life to Tisha and I. If Alex doesn't go to sleep then we make a big deal out of it. If Alex spits up on his clothes then its another big deal. However, this mother of two, was telling me and probably all new parents, to realize that in the beginning all of the problems that arise are usually minor. "Just wait until they get older," was what she continually said. Parents of teenagers have tons of issues and problems to deal with (such as underage sex to underage drinking) on a daily basis. Thus, it is in this context that the thought of a dirty diaper leaking onto a new outfit doesn't seem to warrant such a big commotion anymore.

No comments: