Constantly Evolving Into The Man God Wants Me To Be

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Is This The Face of a Lawyer?

I was stopped in the elevator yesterday by a gentleman who asked me, "If I was a lawyer?" I had to think about it for a few seconds and then I replied, "Not yet?" He then proceed to talk about O.J. Simpson but it had me thinking about my transformation from a college kid to a lawyer. Granted, wearing a shirt and tie makes me look professional but what makes a person ask me if I'm a lawyer rather than asking me if I'm a banker or a computer consultant. Two summers ago, I was standing in front of the Delaware's State Building waiting for my ride, when a young lady asked me if I was a lawyer. Before I could answer, she started talking about her cousin who was framed and is currently serving time down state. At that time, I just finished my first year of law school so I told her that maybe I can help her in a few years.

I guess the lawyer vibe could be coming from the briefcase that I carry. The base-ball glove brown Coach brief was a gift from Rev Rice for being the Chapel President at Ursinus College. He gave me a gift certificate for my hard work and I went to the Coach outlet store in Lancaster, Pa. to find a bag and pay the difference.

I had this bag since 2002 and it still looks brand new. I didn't use it much at Harvard but I started carrying it in law school and always tote it along on my interviews and internships.

No comments: