Constantly Evolving Into The Man God Wants Me To Be

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Preppy Is As Preppy Does

I am truly a obsessive person. When my mind is set on one thing, that one thing usually consumes me until I have it or accomplish it. Take for instance: Tatnall. My first visit to The Tatnall School was in 6th grade to watch Ashely Deadwyler play basketball. I marveled at the cleanness of the school and the astuteness of the students but the thing that put me over the edge was the LL Bean book bags that were left outside of the lockers. Coming from a public school where if you dropped a pencil it would be gone before it hit the ground, these book bags represented not only a better school but a better life. I dreamed day and night about attending that school. I wrote "Tatnall" all over my quizzes and probably had something with Tatnall on it on my wall. Later, this same obsessiveness would apply to Harvard, Kappa Alpha Psi, and Law School. Now, I'm not saying that this is a bad thing because this obsessive behavior often drives me to achieve accomplishments beyond my wildest dreams, but I must admit that sometimes it spills into other aspects of my life. Ask anybody that truly knows me about my hobbies and they will tell you that they change every summer. Every summer since High school, I would obsessive over something. Whether its a new sport, a new video game, making beats, playing the trumpet, or clothing fads, I would be completely consumed by the new hobby or whatever. However, the one thing that I always come back to is preppyness. I may dabble in BBC/Ice cream clothes or buy a extreme amount of soccer jerseys but at the end of the day, I always feel more comfortable in a blazer and my brown loafers. Tatnall enforced a loose dress code on its students but somehow I subconsciously internalized this dress code on myself. I tried to rebelled in college by wearing basketball jerseys and sweat pants but by my sophomore year, my preppyness reared its head to the point where my nickname was Abercrombie. Since college, J.Crew has become synonymous with causal wear and LL Bean with reliable foul weather gear. In Law School, I co-founded bow tie Wednesdays and became well known for wearing khakis pants with the hunting dog prints on rainy days. I guess the moral of the story is once you go prep, you never go back.

No comments: